“Yes, We Can,” 2020 Fundraising Initiative
Red Arrow, along with virtually every other camp in the Northwoods, cancelled its 2020 camp season because of COVID-19. This is a “first” in our 100-year history as camp operated continuously during the Great Depression, World War II, and other global crises. Camp was poised to have strong enrollment and a high level of enthusiasm for our 100th summer. Unfortunately the virus presented too much risk to campers and staff alike to open this year.
Eric is determined to bring us back stronger and better than ever. He and some key staff have created a virtual camp experience to stay connected to our campers, families, alumnus and friends www.redarrowfamily.com; and work is underway on camp improvements as we prepare for a fantastic 2021 season including the postponed 100th Anniversary celebration.
As you might imagine, this situation has also created a short-term financial problem for Red Arrow. Although many families have generously donated their tuition deposits we face a year with no tuition revenue. And although we have scaled-backed many costs, we still face on-going expenses for things like insurance, property taxes, salaries, marketing costs, utilities, advertising, and the new Eight.
In response to this situation, we have made the following changes to our fundraising plans for 2020.
- We are launching our annual fundraising campaign in June 2020 rather than waiting until fall when we normally seek the support of our loyal contributors. We need your help and we need it earlier in the year to help with cash flow.
- We are asking people to consider designating their gift to the “Greatest Need” category to provide us with maximum flexibility in the utilization of your gift.
- Please know that if you gave to the Boesel Fund to support scholarships in 2020, those funds will be rolled forward to support boys during the 2021 camp season. In fact we have already notified all boys that we will honor their scholarship for next summer. You may contribute to Boesel again this year but we ask that you also consider a general gift to the RACF.
- In March of this year we suspended fundraising activities associated with the Second Century Campaign due to the virus. While we plan to resume the Campaign this fall, our primary focus is maximizing our annual support in 2020 to help us through the current period. Your 2020 gift will count fully towards your Second Century Campaign giving total.
- We are scheduling a virtual Town Hall to update the Red Arrow community about our progress and plans. Mark your calendars for July 18 at 11:00 a.m. CST to hear from Eric Roche, John Dickens and to ask questions about camp and its future. More information will be provided as the date approaches.
Red Arrow really needs your support! In a typical year we raise approximately $150,000. In 2020 we need to increase that support to at least $250,000 to bridge this year and place us in a strong position heading into 2021. Several donors have already agreed to accelerate their Second Century Campaign gifts. In addition we asked existing camper families to help and they contributed more than $20,000 in the form of donated tuition deposits. While we are off to a good start, we still need your help!
Bob Krohn was fond of the saying, “Many hands make light work.” Thousands of boys have benefited from the Red Arrow experience in our first 100 years. If everyone pitches in to support Red Arrow during this difficult time, we will meet the challenge before us. That is the goal of the “Yes We Can” 2020 Fundraising Initiative.
The paypal site will prompt you to select which Fund you would like to support. If you send a check, please indicate in the memo section if you prefer to allocate your funds for:
- RACF Boesel Scholarship Fund
- RACF Camp Fund
- Greatest Need (No preference)
Donate By Check!
Please indicate in the memo section if you prefer to allocate your funds for RACF Boesel Scholarship Fund, RACF Camp Fund, or greatest need (no preference). Send donations to:
Red Arrow Camp Foundation
PO Box 180602
Delafield, WI 53018
Thank you again for your past and future support of Red Arrow.
Red Arrow Camp Foundation is a non-profit enterprise organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Red Arrow Camp Incorporated was purchased by the Foundation in April 2012. Since that time, Red Arrow has operated as a non-profit entity. All donations to Red Arrow Camp Foundation, and the Boesel Fund, are tax deductible. Appropriate substantiation is provided to all donors making contributions to RACF to allow them to enjoy a tax benefit from their contributions.